Wednesday, November 10, 2004

My Psalm 119

I had the opportunity yesterday to spend some time alone down by the Bellevue waterfront. It is incredibly gorgeous at this time of year with all of the trees ranging from green to yellow to bright, bright red. It was warm yesterday for November and so I found a lone dock and sat on it for several hours just looking across the lake to the Seattle skyline. (I need to do that more often).

I only had my Bible with me and spent some time reading. I ended up landing in Psalm 119. It is an epic, but I poured my heart into and tried to allow the words to flow over my soul as I read. It was fairly discouraging.

David was a way more holy and confident guy than I am. Stanza after stanza, David's confident refrain is his guiltlessness, his passion for God and His Word, and his cry out to God for the help he deserves (because of the two prior confidences). As I was praying over these words, I decided to let God know what my Psalm 119 might look like. I think it would be something more like this.

I desire the wisdom of your Word O Lord. My sould longs to know You.
I think about rising before the dawn to cry out to you, but my alarm clock rarely rouses me.
I have hidden small snippets of your Word in my heart.
I meditate on your Word every once in a while, but am usually more captivated by television programming.
Direct my footsteps in spite of my failings. Let no sin rule over me.
I don't deserve any of it, but let your promises wash over me. I am afraid.

No comments: