Saturday, October 30, 2004

One of the things I love about Seattle

I went to Starbucks, which I often do with the rest of this newfound culture that I live within. There, sitting by myself with my journal, I began eavsedropping on conversations around me. The table ahead of me, four Russians (you can pick that language out instantly). The table behind me, an older Cambodian couple (I did not know this until the following conversation took place.) A white man approached the Cambodian couple and began a conversation as if among old friends. He is French and had once lived in Cambodia and was sharing with them all of the things that he loved about their country.

At the playground in downtown Bellevue this morning, it was like a who's who of nations as kids of all colors, shapes and sizes played together. There were Europeans, Asians, Americans and African-Americans all playing as if the world were right. And it was in that place.

No comments: