Thursday, December 30, 2004

Connecting

There is something that is so powerful about connecting with someone with whom you feel some sort of kinship. Today I had the privelege of connecting with three such people.

This morning I had a Starbucks meeting with a young guy that I have never met, but have interacted a bit with on John Chandler's blog. He is the son of a missionary who is in the states completing Bible College - about to hit the last semester of his senior year. I told my wife, he had a humble nature about him, yet when I asked him what he wanted to do after college, he replied, "I want to change the world." There was no air of cockiness in that response, just a heart-felt desire to make a difference. I love that. Too many college students are more worried about when the next X-Box game is going to be released than they are about pursuing the passions of God's heart (which, by the way, is to change the world). I felt that spark of connection - he has a faith to believe that God can use him to do big things. I pray that the world (or the church) never beats that out of him.

For lunch, Leslie and I met with her old youth pastor and his wife. I had briefly introduced myself to him once, but had never really interacted with him prior to today. Leslie was really drawn to the two of them when she was young and really wanted to reconnect. I now understand why. They're hearts filled ours. They planted a church in Issaquah, WA sixteen years ago and have lived to tell about it. We were able to talk about mistakes and hurts and all of the other things that make what we do worth it. Leslie and I really see them as potential "coaches" in this church planting process and look forward to more times around a table together.

Beyond just face to face contact, we have been so encouraged by emails and letters we have recieved from so many friends who are lifting us up in prayer and believe in the ministry that we are giving ourselves to. There are no words to describe knowing that beyond our "reach" friends around the United States are going to battle with us. This is how it should be!

No comments: