Monday, June 02, 2008

Awards Banquet


Last night I accompanied Kyle to the end of the year awards banquet for his school. It was yet another reminder to me of a thought I had thunk years before (yes, I know "thunk" is not a word). Schools need to hire church worship pastors to help them figure out how to do banquets, concerts, graduations, etc...because they either don't put any thought into it or they just stink at it.

Anyways, this banquet was a big deal because the varsity team won the state championship this year, something that they last did in 1998. I enjoyed seeing the varsity coach get all veclempt as he talked about his team. Next year, another high school will be opening (which Kyle will be a part of) so this was the final year of one school in Snohomish - it's a big deal in this little town.

It was awesome to be there as the Freshmen were honored by their coach. There were only four special awards given to individual players and Kyle was one of those. He was named the Most Improved Player of the Year. For a kid who has never played with players of this caliber, I was pretty stoked for him. He hit .421 on the year, had some good pitching outings and struggled through a couple of tough ones, and played some awesome first base. In fact, after the coach had announced the individual awards, he said he wanted to name the top offensive and defensive plays of the year. He ended up calling Kyle back up to give him the C0-Defensive Play of the Year award for a "Willie Mays" catch he made running to right field with his back to home plate.

I guess a blog that few people read is as good a place to brag about your kids as any.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing that, Dean. Make sure to congratulate Kyle for me.

The Coffey Grounds said...

Congrats Kyle, Way to go! Dean, next year Diana and I will fly up and do the decorating. Wow I can see those banquets now! They will never be the same! We would have things hanging from the ceiling and centerpieces that would be huge! LOL

Mel said...

Hey Dean! It's Melissa VanSlyke. Glad to hear that things are going well for you. Wink at Andrew for me :)

Cyndee said...

Dean, I didn't know you blogged... how did I not know this? John told me... I will link to you too! Have a great day!!

VikingMom said...

Brag on cousin! That's awesome that Kyle is being recognized for all of his efforts. The first kid always makes it harder for the others to follow. Tamila is getting tired of hearing, "Aren't you Austin Baker's sister?" She's going to have to deal with that some more because awards night for school is tomorrow.

That will be a joy to deal with!

Billy and Laurel said...

I agree, school assemblies are the worst. I have three in the next week. Congratulations to Kyle.

Anonymous said...

Dean, I ditto Cyndees comment. Based on other websites I have seen you on, I figured you didn't blog any more. I look forward to more posts! Tell the boys congrats on their respective seasons. Sorry I didn't make it to any games. See you Sunday!

gpjbean said...

"Back in my day" we had to wear a suit to the sports award banquet!


Even so, we are very proud of Kyle.